Kaun bola???

Two days ago I discovered Nescafe frappe. Earlier I used to flourish on ice-tea.

My swimming skills have improved slightly, but my fun-in-the-pool skills have quadrupled. I can now do the following things without much effort...
  • Somersault in the pool (could very well have been a GNR song)
  • Touching your head to someone else's feet to show how deep you can dive. Also as a gesture of respect. Its called jal-namaskaram.
  • Turtle Stroke. I don't understand how they could call it breast stroke.
  • Two words - POOL FIGHT!!
  • Ladies and gentlemen, Fountain-hands
And of course, I can paddle and throw my hands around.

The caption contest thingy I posted in the last post got me a lot of comments. But I'm not going to overdo it by posting one on every entry. So my fans will just have to wait *ducks to avoid things thrown*

Here I'd like to mention how I hate two common english mannerisms, mostly seen online. Those who got frustrated in my last paragraph should read on. Firstly, use of the word 'thingy'. Nothing in english has ever pissed me of (except perhaps the word totally) as much as it does when someone, with no other common noun left in the arsenal, simply appends this one-size-fits-all to anything he/she says. I rarely feel like hurting people, but things like these tell you how far they can go just to get you to punch them. Secondly, the 'cool' trick of writing out verbs within two asterises to imply humour and/or complex actions. It used to sound okay till sometime back, but now it has become too cliche'd. It again, well, pisses me off. I must say even I can't avoid using it sometimes, but overdose is certainly bad.

Of course there are lots of ways english can be raped (forgive use of this word, but its the most appropriate), but these two top.

Just in case you're not bored already, I'll leave you with some of them.

"Cold-drinks are a strict no-no for me"
"the other day, she was like, blah-blah, and I was all, no way girl, and she was like...."
"I want to franship with you" -- courtesy HT City
"Crap"
< Insert reference to DPS RKP accent here > --I have no grudges against dipsites but I'd really like to hear some legible english for a change. Its not the language that's wrong, its the way their vocal chords have decided to identify with their educational roots. Usually its okay, but there are always the 'samples'.

Please excuse language errors in my posts.

12 comments:

Kaala Kavva said...

you can do many things in the pool
except 1

lie down on the floor.. yes sir.. lie down for 10-15 s.

thats a thingy only some can do ache se...
(note the subtle language-abnormality pls)

AP said...

You mean I have to say "Maniraj is a good person" (lie) for 10-15 sec inside water??

[for more on such humour checkout chapaat]

Kaala Kavva said...

u gotta say something like that only one dont forget one point... LOOK DOWN while saying it..


as i said

lie down on the floor.. yes sir.. lie down for 10-15 s.

lets c if u can do it....

and if some1 hears u sayin the lie thingy tell mujhe.

Anand said...

"I want to franship with you"

He he he


This reminds me of those funny scraps you see in Orkut scrapbooks

As far as thingy is concerned, I too personally hate it because rarely is it used in its proper place. Thingy or thingamajig is something that's anonymous or something whose name has been forgotten.

P.S. CRAP - What's bad in CRAP...

AP said...

Nothing's wrong with crap, its just that its been used too much lately, especially by myself.

Another word i hate being used too much is lil'

*some funny action*

Anand said...

this lil' crap thingy is a certain no-no for Anjul

RS said...

Some phrases that make MY blood boil:

May or may not be:
People say idiotic stuff like "that may or may not be the case," as if there's some hidden third possibility that we weren't aware of.

Well that's just your opinion:
I mean, everyone already KNOWS it's my opinion by virtue of the fact that I said it.

Wait. Maybe I should do a post on this on MY blog :)

AP said...

Andy - Dude! You're like so totally cool man.

Reshma - Right. I forgot to mention those. People will always find ways.

The Reader said...

Hello,
You have been linked. I am assuming you know the url to my blog.

AP said...

I do. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Aidoneus, as a friend of mine likes to say, Kela!!!
Rohan
*grins from ear to ear* (just had to do this Anjul!)

The Reader said...

Kela...
Pour quoi, monsieur Trivedi?