Encrapment

People, please refrain from using my name in out-of-context situations in comments on OTHER blogs. It might sound funny and all but it doesn't exactly look very decent. Anything goes on this blog and as long as you keep commenting, there's no restriction on the content (except perhaps the language).
Thank you

**

I scored a 9.2 this sem. On a scale of 10 it looks fairly cool, but believe it or not this is the first time it has dropped.

**

I thought I'd revive the crap with this post. I tried to keep it down but it ended up overflowing on other blogs and caused a big mess. I apologize to all those offended.

Commenting on blogs is always a good experience but it is easy for things to get out of hand. I have been warned about my language in comments at least twice (both this week) and mostly my comments go tangential to the topic under discussion. Too much bloghopping can be harmful too.

**

If you leave out the outrageous servers and supercomputers in the institute, I probably have one of the best computers in IIT. Its a P4 2.8GHz machine with 512 MB RAM. Now that's, to be honest, only moderately fast, especially since there are people with 3.2 GHz boxes with 1 GB RAM.
My Radeon 9600 (256 MB) compensates for it. It cost me 10k, about the most expensive piece of hardware I ever bought and it is, I think, the second best graphics card in the institute, after a 9600 XT one of my friends has.

Quite obviously, only gaming can justify spending cash on a graphics card.

Speed, however, comes at a price. Fast things tend to go pretty hot. My processor is a P4 prescott, which most definitely is Intel's biggest mistake ever. My guess is that they wanted to make a room-heater-cum-processor when they came up with it. Processors usually are supposed to run at about 10 degrees higher than the room temperature, but Mr. Prescott here likes it hot. During the last few weeks I've never seen it run below 60, the average being 64 (degrees centigrade). Hell, it even overheats if I try burning CDs during the afternoon.

No one likes to hear temperature alarms during a round of quake. Thats it. No gaming during summers. It sucks to have a graphics card not being used to its potential but I'd prefer an alive CPU over an unhappy graphics card.

Too much tech-whiz I guess, and no crap. I'm sure I'll have something ready by the next post.

19 comments:

Anand said...

Hell, it even overheats if I try burning CDs during the afternoon.

Was there a pun involved here????


People, please refrain from using my name in out-of-context situations in comments on OTHER blogs. It might sound funny and all but it doesn't exactly look very decent.

I guess someone else also overheats at midnight.

Anand said...

BTW, congrats for the 9.2!!!

AP said...

No, no pun was involved. At least not intended. I still don't see it.

I'll take that congratulations, thx m8, but coming from 9.456 that's not exactly heroic.

Stray Angel said...

tell u something..u sound down.i dun know how.u jst do.no im not weird.u do na.now dun argue wid me..jst be u again.okay? :P

ps: im sleepy..dhimaagh nahin chal raha.normally bhi nahin chalta lekin aaj to excuse hai na :D

AP said...

@wild1: I'll try. There's an absolute crap post under construction.

@pradyot: I am only 28 kms from my SGPA.

Anonymous said...

you obviously aim high but cribbing about something like a 9.2 sounds a bit superscilious!! so just let your hair down for a change and enjoy your hols:)

Anand said...

i m glad i m more than 7000kms away from my sgpa and have no easy way to get it.

You don't have to find your SGPA, your SGPA finds you.

AP said...

ya ok I won't drag petty things like GPA.

Anyways, just wondering Pradyot, the earth's diameter being 12756.3 kms, and Canada being more or less the opposite side of the earth, you obviously took a route shorter than a straight line. Doing a BTech in Engineering Physics has its advantages I must say.

Or, are you talking miles or something?

Anand said...

The distance between Delhi & Toronto is 11644 km (7237 miles) (Ref:www.airportcitycodes.com) ......

Oddly, the distance is still shorter than the diameter of the earth.

AP said...

So there WAS something odd about that figure.
Canada is not exactly opposite I guess. Anyway Pradyot meant miles, now we know.

Thanks for that reference. I couldn't find it somehow.

The Reader said...

I will not comment on your grades, for enough has been said on them.

However, on a note slightly unrelated, my comp's (P - III 2.8 Ghz, HT) motherboard zonked out (Read: Over-heated + Sensors Melted) while Rendezvous'04. To be honest, I was devastated on that. I guess that is what 20 hours of operation a day for 10 days in September continuously (Read: without shutdown) does to your comp. And man, does Adobe photoshop fucks the system? Fortunately, my comp was only 7 months old then, so got the motherboard replaced from Intel. Intel warranty, incidentally does not cover over heating problems . My assembler maaroed a lil fraud. So, then on, life has been one cautious step each day.

Moral of the story - Do not design posters for Rendezvous / Tryst - Come what may !

You have been warned. =)

Anonymous said...

9.2! Holy mother of everything that is sweet!!!

And with a watchful eye on the bad language, Shit man! that's bloody awesome!

AP said...

@keerthi: thx man. As long as you're praising me, any language goes

@aidoneus: So we have the same processor. Now, what if I tell you something that'll knock your brains out? In November last year I screwed my system up by accidently dropping a screw in it (see the pun) while adjusting a fan, when it was up. I got a replacement in December pretty easily.
Photoshop ruins my system zone 2. That's the RAM I guess. It goes to around 50 everytime I'm doing it, but I avoid the fancy 300 dpi huge resolution things. I did make posters for Nihilanth but that was winters and my motherboard took it pretty comfortably.
Just a fact, I rarely shutdown my PC. The longest its been up is about a month, in March this year.

AP said...

AMD is known to run much hotter than Pentium. They easily cross 90 still working. My roomie has an hp laptop with and AMD, and these days his temperatures easily cross 100 when he's doing any work involving processors. I guess its upto you dude. Personally I'd prefer Centrino.
India is just not made for these faster processors.

AP said...

Or the other way round. These processors aren't made for India ;)

The Reader said...

Yes, that is what gets fucked up - system zone 2 ! Replacement for acts like yours is suitably easier than for a motheroard with melted sensors. And yes, I like to do the fancy 300 DPI thing.
On making posters for Nihilanth, I put the bar code in there for a purpose =)

AP said...

Hey Rustagi!
I did make posters, what if they weren't accepted? And I did that magazine shit which was supposed to be done at 700dpi. Saving took about 45 seconds...

Manu Saxena said...

Ha Ha, Rustagi. There goes your cover. It has been blown. Again.

obelix said...

what a blinkin shame ...

i mean u buy a top end PC and cant play games :(

life sux d00d ...