Later that night I saw Being Cyrus.

It would be a shame to say the movie was bad, although giving it an absolute thumbs up cannot be just. Its a short movie, or maybe because it kept me hooked all the time - definitely not the most boring. The suspense is killing, should someone have not revealed stuff to you beforehand, in which case its best you get your tickets refunded in time. And I must admit for the entire duration I was more or less swept off my feet. The shots are excellent, sequences and other visual stuff and montage etc. awesome, for the first time I felt Bollywood was capable of something professional. English not being every actor's favourite language (as it seemed), there were regular reality checks. Some awfully annoying.
The story will eventually come under question. A suspense that unfolds to something so ordinary it seems lame, something that keeps itself conveniently hidden throughout the movie only later uncovering its face to show us that its not only imperfect, but slightly unreasonable too. Again this may all be because we're used to our villains killing 500 people and hijacking countries and islands and what not, that small things like [spoiler avoided] seem to betray our fantasies.
Saif Ali Khan's done a good job both as an actor and as a narrator, this being one of the very few times someone gives him some character.
All in all, the movie's good and I might want to catch it again some time. Given that bollywood movies usually bore me to death, this is actually an honest recommendation to go see it before someone ruins it for you. I also think this is better than Rang They Basanti. That's just me though.
1 comment:
hey anjul.. so the genius has this amazing literary side also... i must say.. very honest writing.. and i'm going to try and visit it often.. but honestly.. hats off...
Post a Comment