Poytree Prezentashun

Poetry presentation tomorrow. We've chosen Vikram Seth. I'm going to speak on the following poems:



Interpretation

Somewhere within your loving look I sense,
Without the least intention to deceive,
Without suspicion, without evidence,
Somewhere within your heart the heart to leave.

Protocols

What can I say to you? How can I retract
All that that fool my voice has spoken -
Now that the facts are plain, the placid surface cracked,
The protocols of friendship broken?
I cannot walk by day as now I walk at dawn
Past the still house where you lie sleeping.
May the sun burn these footprints on the lawn
And hold you in its warmth and keeping.

Unclaimed

To make love with a stranger is the best.
There is no riddle and there is no test. --

To lie and love, not aching to make sense
Of this night in the mesh of reference.

To touch, unclaimed by fear of imminent day,
And understand, as only strangers may.

To feel the beat of foreign heart to heart
Preferring neither to prolong nor part.

To rest within the unknown arms and know
That this is all there is; that this is so.

6 comments:

RS said...

You are going to speak on these?
:-O

What are you going to say? Are you supposed to analyze/deconstruct?

I remain very, very, worried.

Phoenix said...

You're very very lucky..
Good poems for u, and it's only poems after all. My crse has novels, poetry and drama and general papers and thesis etc etc. We are already done with poetry presentations too....

Crse for this minor: 2 novels, plus all the poetry.

So be happy, u r lucky!

And ya, good luck!

AP said...

Thank you..
No serious post mortem, the stuff's pretty superficial. Did what everybody does in school English exams section D.

Anyway thanks for the wishes, it went great, even though we started half an hour late because I had to run all the way to the girls hostel because someone had so innocently kept the keys with herself.

And so shall I say again, the prof sucks.

Kaala Kavva said...

waah! vikram seth
that guy is awesome

i esp like the 1
'the frog and the nightengale'

amazing rhyme...

Kaala Kavva said...

and ya gift ur prof some coke with straws... (he'll suck even better)

AP said...

Ya he sort of dwells on rhyme and metre. All his poems show amazing structure. Although this has been criticized a lot I must say they make a very good reading.
This is the sort of thing I puked in the afternoon today.

Yanyway its a she prof, not a he.
And I'm sure no matter what I give her she's not gonna suck more coz she's at the freaking physical limit. She sucks so much scientists want to conduct black hole tests on her... of course on the approximation that black holes don't suck half as much as she does.

And should she ever see this, please let my mom know I loved her.