Big mistake.
They started with my food habits, courtesy my very intelligent sister. The amount of junk food I ate. Condemned, criticized, and even damned for that, I quietly listened to all they had to say, like an ideal son/brother. And like an ideal son/brother, I paid no attention. They still didn't know I had a pizza almost every week, as I had no intentions of exploring the possibility of my mother disowning me.
I repeated my question, stressing the fact that I needed a "solution" to "whiten" my "already discoloured" teeth.
This time it was the amount I eat. Apparently, I ate too less.
I know. I want to understand how it landed here, but it somehow did.
It was my mom. Her idea: I let my hostelmates eat my meals because I'm "too kind" and "innocent". She probably imagined people at my hostel tying me to my bed while they took my money and spent that on food for themselves. And that's why I was getting leaner every week. I started to explain but realized the futility and the possible aftermath of that attempt.
"My teeth first. Please."
Didi listened. I asked her if there was some special way to brush your teeth which made it bright and shiny like the ones on TV. {By that time I was pretty sure the extra whiteners in Pepsodent needed some spell to activate and the 12 dentists in the Colgate advertisement were probably paid actors. I brushed twice daily and made it as hard as possible for my teeth. I WANTED them white.} "Harder", my sister suggested, at which point I reminded her discoloured teeth were better than no teeth. Mom's favourite word was "tartar" and she did not hide that fact. They were at least on correct lines.
"Lemon juice", mom said. This was official now. Lemon juice for everything. You want shiny hair, apply lemon juice. You need fairer skin, lemon juice. Got a severe stomach ache? Have too many pimples? Blisters? Constipation? Broken bones? Cancer? Try some lemon juice.
Then, I had this from my sister:
"Take some almonds. Soak them overnight. Eat the almonds and dry their chhilkas. Crush them and use as tooth-powder."
What. The. Hell.
"Rub your teeth with salt, but it tastes awful". Now they were coming to something, since I'd heard of this salt thing before. Awful taste my a**, I wanted bright teeth. Besides, these 32 soldiers have lived tougher times (ha).
Before they could come to the number of times I'm supposed to bathe in summers, I made some lame excuse and left, with images of bruised gums with glistening white teeth in my mind. Beautiful.
14 comments:
it's a problem, i agree. i don't like the colour of my teeth either. u can try scraping off the exposed .1 mm of yellowing enamel to expose the shiny new white enamel underneath.
people do weird things: the really crazy chinese slice their leg bones in a couple of places, put their legs in a brace with an inch or so b/w the broken parts, and wait a painful month for the calcium to fill the space between, to grow taller.
So what color ARE your teeth?
Or should we just be politically correct and say "apple-white", like those kids in the toothpaste ad?
Ok, now my two pennies.
Lemon and salt usually work.
Try sodium bicarbonate powder. I'm told that is really good. And it doesn't chafe your gums.
Also, if your problem is tartar/plaque, use mouthwash or rinse, something like AM/PM should work well. That's the one I use, it works well.
Smitali - I no smoke-a.
Reshma - Will try that. And they're not exactly apple white :D More on the lines of off-white, but they've started getting on my nerves.
a very common problem. brush your teeth atleast twice a day. and everytime you eat some sweets.
use "neem" for it.it will help you without very bad taste.but be regular. it helped me loads.
avoid softdrinks too.lemon and salt are tooo sour or bitter.
ask your younger sibling. younger siblings are always smarter.
Wow! Thanks for all the opinions guys. I'll see what I can get.
esjee - I brush twice daily.
Pradyot - Whassat?
Shri ASS - You say that from personal experience or what? You know, Einstein had a younger sister, and we all know who got the Nobel twice. The sister couldn't even manage one. How dumb. Maybe its the brothers who are always smart. Or guys in general.
lol...
hmmm...since uve tried more or less everything..and have lots more to try...i wish u good luck!
to whiter teeth!
einstein got the nobel twice?
what did he get it the second time for?
Whooops!
I was probably thinking special and general theories and attributed them each to a nobel prize. I realize he didn't get it for either. Sorry people.
I didnt know that guyz worried this much about the color of their teeth... may be i m not "metrosexual" engh
Maybe not, if you feel that's metrosexual.
lolllll... really well written. moms and elder sisss are like that typically.. lol.
and about your teeth, dude, go to some dentist and get them cleaned.
ask them how to properly brush your teeth, cuz' unlike what your sis suggested, i've read that it's better to brush your teeth gently/mildly... unlike most of us do.
Honestly, that's one revelation. To me at least.
Post a Comment