"I'm gonna kill you man!"
He was looking straight in my eyes. He couldn't be joking. It wasn't a game anymore. I could sense the blood flowing through his veins as he clutched tighter onto the piece of wood he was holding. His eyes were red with fury.
Two minutes ago we were best friends. It was surprising how a minor disagreement of views could turn me into his mortal enemy. I'd never seen him this angry before. Naturally I was pissed. I knew any moment the wood would meet my head. I had already started wishing it would bleed as little as possible, and that I would come out alive. I had so many wishes to fulfil before I died. I wanted so many things. I couldn't die so soon. All this time he was getting ready for the blow.
My attempts to pacify him were actually making him angry. How could I be so cool when he was so angry? I got the hint, and tried to sound as freaked out as possible. Actually, I already was. It seemed he wasn't going to give up. I had messed with him and gotten out clean. It was physical now. He'd curse himself all his life if he didn't hit me now. I kept saying whatever my mind thought was appropriate. I can't remember a word of it.
Repeated apologies, helped. Slowly he came back to his senses. His hand went limp. The bat slipped slowly and silently landed on the turf. I looked at him. His body was covered in sweat. The anger in his eyes was still there. Then, without a word, he turned around and walked away.
I kept standing there. To this day I wish he should have made that blow. I couldn't stand to see him leave like this. It hurt my self-respect more than it hurt his. It would have given me a reason to claim he was the offender. But that prospect was now gone. He was at his home, probably crying in his room. I went home too.
We never talked again.
3 comments:
Great writing...could imagine everything.
stinks of pessimism and fear...
but the expression is good
u should write more....
"stinks" ?
I'll take note of that....
Post a Comment