So I'm back without a bang but certainly with some news. The longer I spend in this country the more I learn about USA, living alone, and myself. In the last 2 months I have gathered and embraced a million practices, traditions, and thought processes. At the top of my misbehavior I was slicing pumpkins on Halloweens. But I have done more.
It started with toilet paper, which I refused to touch till a few weeks into my new habitat. I had to give in when I uncovered (primarily in my head) the national conspiracy governing placement of the faucet relative to the commode. And you thought its just the visa line where they try to throw you out. I now use both paper and water with equal enthusiasm, respecting my heritage as well as my paranoia.
Next came lunch, the chaos in which I have now managed to conquer. Happily munching another chicken burger/taco/burrito/pizza one day, I realized how I hated coming to that place, even though the girls were nice. I found myself yearning for that afternoon rush of dal, roti, raita, achaar that I used to blatantly insult. Not long after, though, I bought myself a set of tiffins, a packet of tortillas, a gobhi, and cooking oil. And the rest as they say, was free lunch.
In terms of an accent I can say I've been very lucky. By successfully mocking uptalk for some years I caused enough repulsion between it and I to result in the following:-
It started with toilet paper, which I refused to touch till a few weeks into my new habitat. I had to give in when I uncovered (primarily in my head) the national conspiracy governing placement of the faucet relative to the commode. And you thought its just the visa line where they try to throw you out. I now use both paper and water with equal enthusiasm, respecting my heritage as well as my paranoia.
Next came lunch, the chaos in which I have now managed to conquer. Happily munching another chicken burger/taco/burrito/pizza one day, I realized how I hated coming to that place, even though the girls were nice. I found myself yearning for that afternoon rush of dal, roti, raita, achaar that I used to blatantly insult. Not long after, though, I bought myself a set of tiffins, a packet of tortillas, a gobhi, and cooking oil. And the rest as they say, was free lunch.
In terms of an accent I can say I've been very lucky. By successfully mocking uptalk for some years I caused enough repulsion between it and I to result in the following:-
- me not catching the accent
- me actually not being interested in many cleavages (with the accent it takes much more than just a cleavage to get me to stare)
- me laughing 5 hours a day
No comments:
Post a Comment