Bus kar!

So the other day I was looking for a bus back to where I was staying in Mumbai. In case I didn't specify in my last posts, I was in Mumbai for last 20 days or so, reached somewhere around 14th and came back on th 31st, just in time to finish the year in my hometown.

So I was somewhere in Mumbai from where I needed to get back to where I was staying. It was something like half pas nine or ten, around the time you'd expect the last bus on a less used route. Well I was on a less used route, and knowing the bus had a 20 minute service, I couldn't afford to miss it.

Soon I decided to get tired of waiting. Simultaneously I decided to get hungry. This is the thing about Mumbai. You'll get something to eat wherever you are. Whatever time it is. Sometimes things don't qualify much above pani puri and wada pao, but then I realised they happen to be the best things the city can offer. Anyway, I spotted a shop where I imagined I would get a nice wada pao. About 10 metres from the bus stop, such a venture was never a risky deal. So I went and had my wada pao in peace. Peace interrupted by checks on the coming bus numbers, that is.

Wada pao done, I decided to be concerned of my breath. I decided on buying a mint. I knew the 50 paise coin, now a permanent inhabitant of my wallet needed to go soon, so I took ONE mint. I mean I tried to take one mint. While hunting for the coin I saw a bus approaching. You got it. It was the one. If you think I paid the 50 paise coin and ran and got the bus, you're wrong. I tried tearing one mint from a collection of two mints, simultaneously hunting for the freaking coin who decided to hide itself at the right moment.

I lost my cool, threw the mint away, and ran for the bus.

I lost the bus.

Another thing about Mumbai is local trains. They rock. They run 24 hours from about anywhere to everywhere, they're cheap, they're fast, and once you get the hang of it, they're like your second home. By the time this incident happened I was quite accustomed to trains, and there was no point waiting for the bus so I took a next rickshaw to the station. Another thing about Mumbai are the rickshaws. They totally rock too.

There are rickshaws only in some parts of the city, but that's about the only sad thing about them. But they operate without fuss for any distance they can, they're always (legally) metered, and the drivers know the roads like the backs of their hands. I'm still reeling from the trauma of what I went through when I once needed to reach Mount Mary's church from Bandra station "fast". Anyway so I was in the rick when I casually asked the guy if he could chase the bus for me. And as if this was THE piece of adventure this man's life needed, he jumped on the opportunity. I mean, he just asked me, "which one?"

Following the bus till the next red light was easy schmeazy. Did I say I think rickshaw drivers in Mumbai are Formula One veterans? Anyway I slapped the guy a tenner as I leapt out of the vehicle to catch the bus. Nine bucks is the minimum fare rickshaw guys in Mumbai need to be paid. One for his service. Tip. :)

While running for the bus I realised the red light was red no more. My target was already in motion. At this point I could either make a dash or just go back and sit in the rickshaw for more chase. If you thought I avoided risks and did the latter, you were again mistaken. I ran for it. In the split second of decision making, I chose the spectacular over the ordinary. I took the visibly bleak chance of me getting the bus, and I ran. I ran with everything in (and a bag, with) me.

Guess what, I got the bus.

Cheers!
(Sleepy)

No comments: