I shifted into this new single room recently. Finally some space completely to my abuse. And yes, unrestricted music volume too (almost). The shifting process proved to be a bigger pain than expected since I had to carry everything myself, with a bonus in the form of a huge suitcase and a bag I was generously harbouring for one of my friends currently on vacation. That huge suitcase later turned out to be the heaviest object I carried. Cleaning the room and covering selctive portions with wallpaper were also demanding. Newspaper used as wallpaper.
This room, D-41, furnished with a bed, an almirah, a table and two chairs, has more space than my previous rooms. This means I can now move the chair at my will, also that I have more floor to look at, purely for aesthetic reasons of my own. The bulk of the table is occupied by various parts of my computer rendering it useless as anything but a dump for small objects (like alarm clock). The 17" monitor came a close second heaviest object.
The best thing about this new room is its ventilation. The orientation is such that if I open both the door and the windows, a cool and simply awesome breeze keeps flowing throughout the day, which is good since I come from one of the hottest rooms in the hostel. As a recent (as recent as 5 minutes ago) update, this also implies I can get all kinds of foul smell from outside (someone just burned some rubber), which is acceptable as long as it does not last.
The only other drawback being that the room is on the third floor, a fact, which when coupled with good ventilation and laziness , can cause the I'm-staying-in-the-room-forever syndrome. The symptoms have already started showing as I was supposed to be at the institute about 2 hours ago.
Also, the ceiling fan is a lot bigger than the mock of a fan I had earlier.
An update on the heatsink cleaning incident: I realized Internet Explorer is the biggest piece of crap in the universe, since it is the only software which has been capable enough to generate the heat alarm on a clean heatsink, and considering I could play Far Cry without any diffculty for hours, this is a feat. Now that's a powerful software I must say. Kudos to Microsoft, they never cease to impress.
Cheers (and yuck at the smell which just started again)
Oh, and yes, I realized how irritating excessive use of parentheses can be. Will try and keep it down next time onwards.
Anjul
7 comments:
"...a cool and simply awesome breeze keeps flowing throughout the day..."
You mean the hot dry gusts on a hot July afternoon that for some weird meteorological reason is called the 'loo'?
Now I think you'll go into a long line of defence about how the IITD campus is because of all the greenery around.
How long will you be here in this room?
Finally, congratulations on the shifting.
Luckily for me, the monsoons have already arrived here. So cool breeze it is.
And the greenery thing too.
I will be here for at least a year.
Thanks, and did I mention the closest bathroom to my room has no water?
From my experience of rooms on the D floor, you will not have a spectacular time while you are there.
Enjoy !
What experience are you talking about? You guys aren't even in the same hostel.
You don't need to be in the same hostel to experience the heat and bright sunshine that one receives in ample quantities on the D floor! The heat in Jwala isn't any more than the heat in Nilgiri! Plus, the arduous climb to your room, the indescribable feeling that you get when you climb two floors to C and then realise that you have one more floor to climb...aah, IITD at least spared me the experience of ever staying on the D Floor.
Well I know most horrors of living on the third floor since I spent second year in D-10, which enjoys special solar previlieges I think. Coming from that things are only going to be better.
Besides, I'll have to spend a year here whether I like it or not, so I think its best to be optimistic. To begin with, at least.
And I know the feeling when you reach the C-floor climbing up. Unless in a hurry I usually take a break at this point and spend a few minutes in someone's room before I regain the evergy and the will to climb the last set.
Hey! you are back! :)
Post a Comment